Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Carrot Bisque Recipe

This recipe come from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, who has written a large number of vegan cookbooks of which I own several.


I guess a few words about vegan cooking is needed since most people I know either think vegan cooking is "yucky" or start off on a diatribe about how people who don't eat meat are stupid....blah blah blah. I eat vegan fairly frequently. This is mainly because vegan recipes are often times far more interesting than their meat-eating equivalent (Just to make sure we are all on the same page about what being a vegan entails, it means no animal products. So no meat, or dairy). I find that even vegetarian recipes frequently seem to get by on a white sauce loaded with cheese, which I obviously have no problem with hello cauliflower gratin, but I think you can get lazy. The solution to get people to eat a vegetable should not be to pour massive amounts of cheese sauce on it. So, enter vegan cooking. Don't get me wrong there are just as many terrible vegan cookbooks as good ones, so be careful. When I cook vegan I usually prefer not to tell people they are eating vegan food until they are complimenting me on what they just ate. I then spring it upon them, and hopefully shatter any preconceptions they might have about veganism. I also hear the comment, "I just can't get full unless I have meat at a meal, because it's not a real meal unless you have meat". Well meat does provide important nutrition for your body you can get protein other ways and not eating meat at a few meals a week will not kill you. I think of it more like caffeine addiction. You are used to coffee/soda every day, therefore when you do not have it you FREAK OUT. However if you starting cutting back on coffee/soda after a while your body excepts that and you do not need it every day. Just a gradual weaning off process, one that can save you some money because meat is expensive!

Ok ok I will get to the recipe, here you go. As always any notes of mine are italicized.

Carrot Bisque
Serves 8

3 lbs carrots, peeled and diced into around 1/2 inch pieces
1 large onions, chopped
2 TB peanut oil (vegetable oil will do)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TB curry powder
1/2 tsp salt (I say always use Kosher salt)
A few dashes fresh black pepper
3 cup vegetable broth, or 1 boullion cube dissolved in 3 cups water
1 (13 oz) can coconut milk
1 TB maple syrup

In a stockpot over medium-low heat, cook the carrots and onions in the peanut oil for 7 to 10 minutes; cover and stir occasionally. You want the onions to brown but not to burn. Add the garlic, curry, salt, and pepper; saute for 1 more minute. Add the 3 cups of broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
Add the coconut milk and bring to a low boil. Turn the heat off. Use a handheld blender to puree half of the soup; if you don't have one puree half the soup in a blender and add it back to the pot. (I use my food processor, if you do use a blender please wait until the soup cools down slightly or the lid will pop off. Also sometimes I puree the entire soup, it just depends how I feel) After pureeing add the maple syrup and stir. Serve hot.


Abbs

No comments:

Post a Comment